Jul 16, 2020
With the Atlantic hurricane season upon us, the thunderstorm season underway and countless threats like power outages always looming, having a plan to keep businesses operational during and after severe weather, or another unplanned event, is critical to ongoing success. Mapping out the pieces of a business continuity (BC) and disaster recovery (DR) plan can be daunting, especially for small to mid-sized enterprises that may not have large in-house IT staff with time and resources to create one. 365 Data Centers is here to help!
Our recent virtual roundtable, Rethinking SMB Business Continuity in 2020, offers practical advice from experts and IT professionals who have implemented plans, and our new eBook, The SMB Guide to Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery, provides a step-by-step guide on creating a plan. Read on for highlights from the virtual roundtable and the eBook.
What is Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery?
Business continuity (BC) is the more broad practice of ensuring an organization can remain functional regardless of the circumstances during and immediately following a crisis. Disaster recovery (DR) focuses on getting business back to normal after the crisis. Both are equally as important and should be part of all business processes. In fact, both are growing in popularity.
The global BC market is on the rise. However, in Mercer’s Business Responses to the COVID-19 Outbreak, a survey that examines how businesses globally responded to the pandemic that caused many to close or transition to remote work, found that approximately half of more than 300 businesses surveyed did not have a BC plan. The inability to operate during and after a crisis means downtime for your business and customers, and a financial loss.
How Do I Create a Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery Plan?
Without a large IT staff to assist, creating a plan can be a challenge, but it can be done! Our virtual roundtable offers practical advice from Jim Grady, Sales Director of 365 Data Centers; Wayne Kenworthy, who heads up IT operations at Hayward Industries in New Jersey; and Mike Allen, Senior Vice President of Solutions of Datacenters.com. Our free eBook takes a deeper look at the BC/DR market and how you can craft a plan that fits your business’ needs. Steps include:
- Taking inventory of the tools that keep your business operational and examining how nimble you can be in the event of an emergency.
- Examining your physical and virtual locations and determining how you could access your IT infrastructure in the case of a pandemic, natural disaster, or another force majeure event.
- Looking at where your infrastructure is located and considering hosting data at a data center outside of your primary market.
- Obtaining feedback on mission-critical applications from each department so you may account for each part of the business in your plan.
- Leveraging relationships with vendors, like 365 Data Centers, to help you shape a plan that fits the unique needs of your organization.
To help your organization get started with crafting a plan, watch our full virtual roundtable and download our free eBook. To learn more about how 365 Data Centers can help your business, contact us.